Friday 18 June 2010

June 8th - 17th

It comes to something when I think I look strange when my hair is down, and straight. Its become the norm to just whack it up in a clip and not really bother with it, so today when I looked in the mirror it was weird. And thats weird in itself! I don't like it!

Todays my first day off for a while, but unfortunately the work I was doing (and not getting sacked from) has now stopped - bah! Since the last blog I've worked at two different farms, getting sacked from one (zucchini picking really is just not my thing) and then the other not needing us anymore - sad times! I also lost the cleaning job because I had farm work, so now I have no work at all and I think its definitely time to move on from Ayr!

Photobucket
(Zucchinis - these things are PURE EVIL)


So on Friday and Saturday I was working at Booth Farm - it was a bit of a last resort really, I really didn't want to go there. A lot of people here have been there and come back with horror stories, and most people get sacked pretty quick - the checkers there are bastards really and don't give you much of a shot to get into things. So I did two hours on Friday and two hours on Saturday and then wasn't asked back for Sunday - no surprise really, I knew I had done shit so it didn't bug me like it did when I got sacked from Corrick!

Photobucket
(Round yellow squash - wish this job had lasted longer!)


Saturday night we were surprised to find another farm had rung up and asked for 10 people for the next day, and I was one of those! So another early morning start, and we drove for an hour to get to McShanes Farm in Dalbeg, an hour away from the hostel. Luckily we were picking squash though, not zucchini!! I think the fact I was so relieved not to be picking zucchinis really helped, I managed to go quite fast and did not get sacked! Whoopee! We did 6 hours on our first day, was damn hard on the back but I was just so happy to have work it didn't feel so bad :) And then they kept asking us back - on our 2nd and 3rd days we did 5 hours, and then yesterday we only did 3 and a half hours due to machine breakdown and people picking the wrong lanes and all kinds of problems. Was good though. Bit of a shame really - the farm lady still wants some people to go out and help but because its so far away we can't really go unless she wants the crew of 10 or it won't cover the petrol costs, which makes it pretty pointless. And also, I don't know when we get paid for it - what a pain! But it'll be about $285, all goood :D

So now once again I'm unemployed with no prospects, woohoo! I think I'm gonna leave Ayr next Wednesday now unless something comes up. I was planning on leaving yesterday but then we had work, and now I've gone past my weekly rent day - if I leave before next Wednesday I'll just get charged the nightly rent which is expensive and so I might as well stay until next week - gives me time to make a bit of a plan and get stuff sorted. Need to make a visit to Townsville to sell my camera, so gotta get the bus there and back, or persuade someone here with a car that they really want to take a day trip in that direction - might be easier than it sounds :D

Today I am relaxing and doing feck all for the first time in a while! I've done nothing all morning and don't plan on doing a great deal this afternoon - tomorrow can be my sort out day, and hopefully I'll have got paid a little money too so can go on the (reasonably speedy) internet instead of resorting to McDonalds yet again!

(Images in this post = not taken by me!)

No comments: